Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Word Choice and Context Analysis


Author's Note: I wrote a creative piece and then analyzed how the imagery used added to the mood of the story. I tried to incorporate as much imagery as possible in the story to show my knowledge of their use. 

I’m swimming, swimming in a magical world of blue. Rays of sunlight dance ahead, showing me the way to go. Tiny bubbles float upwards, tiny bubbles twirl and spin, tiny bubbles weave between each other. This underwater palace was like Atlantis, towering from the bottom of the ocean. Hundreds of little tiny fish swam with their schools in the crystal clear water. Dolphins jump out of the water so they are even with the rooftops of Miami. Sharks swim slowly and confidently like kings walking in their own country. Staying here forever would be lovely, an escape from the real world, but it is time to return. Dolphins swarm below and lift me to the surface, where I am left to swim back to the land of reality.

***

In this piece, I used symbolism and imagery to create a mood of pureness and life beneath the surface of the ocean. I tried to write with a tone of a magical place where there were no worries, fears, or setbacks. I used the symbolism of water to create the mood of a clear and pure world where a new life was born. These techniques are often used in poetry and short stories to enhance the setting and the mood or goal of the characters. I used imagery so that the reader could see a vivid picture of what it would be like to be swimming in this magical world. When I said, “rays of sunlight dance ahead,” I was using personification to help the reader see those glistening rays sparkling and shining light into the clear water. When I said “this underwater palace was like Atlantis,” I was giving the reader a chance to use real world text or art to visualize even more. All these techniques helped enhance the mood of the story and helped the reader to truly interpret the story in the way intended by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment